The Calgary Ostomy Society
Serving the Calgary Ostomy Community since 1968.
The Calgary Ostomy Society is a member of the Ostomy Canada Society and is dedicated to helping persons with an ileostomy, colostomy, urostomy or J-Pouch. It is a self-governing non-profit, educational health service agency with medical advisers. The Society operates a volunteer visitor service to ostomates and holds quarterly information and social meetings. Meetings are open to all ostomates, their families, friends and supporters.
The Calgary Ostomy Society provides:
– Trained volunteer visitors (all of whom have ostomies/j-pouches) who aid ostomy and j-pouch patients before and after surgery
– Help for ostomy patients to adjust to the emotional and psychological results of ostomy surgery
– Tips for everyday appliance management
– Quarterly meetings with relevant speakers, opportunities to meet Enterostomal Therapists (NSWOC) informally and to learn about new products from manufacturers and vendors. These meetings provide important support as ostomates and their families gain understanding of how to achieve their best quality of life.
– Quarterly Newsletter and Educational Publications We also offer regular support groups, including:
– Small Support Group (for all ostomy types and ages)
– Gutsy Gang Social Club (for those with a bowel & bladder diversion, ie ostomy, j-pouch, between the ages of 18 to 40’s)
– J-Pouch Support Group
– Spouses and Significant Others Support Group
The Calgary Ostomy Society (COS) is a member of the Ostomy Canada Society. Paid membership to the COS includes membership to the Ostomy Canada Society with access to all of its services, including their national glossy publication “Ostomy Canada Magazine”.
For inquiries or general information, please use the form below.