Join Our Team!
Calgary Ostomy Society requires some volunteers to join our team.
Kaylee needs assistance with coordinating the Ostomy Visitors Program and requires more volunteer visitors to join the roster.
Tiffany needs help with social media, the young adults’ group, and membership. She has stepped up to help Ostomy Canada with some critical projects and needs to lighten up her local workload. We can also improve upon these areas, so we created new positions for program expansion and enhancement.
Our volunteers work remotely from home, except for in-person events. It is very flexible and typically revolves around quarterly planning.
We have some new perks to offer volunteers who can commit to a 2-year term: free access to Microsoft Office 365, Grammarly and Canva, discounted hardware and software, and online training. If you are not quite up to speed with technology, this is an excellent opportunity to improve your skills and add to your resume.
We ask that you consider giving a few hours of your free time each month to this worthy cause. Volunteering is not merely a selfless act, but it also presents a way to build up your world if you are feeling depressed or isolated and gives the gift of purpose and accomplishment. Our executive committee is fun and friendly, and the experience of fellowship with other ostomates and j-pouchers is very healing in your recovery journey.
Short Term Opportunities
VOLUNTEER VISITING PROGRAM
We are always looking for new volunteers to visit patients undergoing ostomy surgery in hospital. Time committment is minimal, and police clearance is required. Training is mandatory, so please contact us for more information.
We are in need of male volunteers between the ages of 19 and 50, who have either an ileostomy or colostomy.
Twice per year, we organize an event on behalf of the Friends of Ostomates Worldwide Canada. This involves a day of hard work, (lifting, standing, etc.), at the CB Medical Warehouse. We unpack boxes of ostomy supply donations, sort them out according to type (colostomy, urostomy, 1-piece & 2-piece systems, etc.), and repack for shipment to FOWC headquarters in Toronto. We typically email members, and post the event on our website and Facebook the month before a Packup.
Update: We are currently unable to coordinate FOWC pack ups due to Covid-19.
Young Adults Coordinator
Are you a young adult living with an Ostomy or J-Pouch? Calgary Ostomy Society (COS) is currently looking for a volunteer to fill the role of Young Adults Program Coordinator.
Our Young Adults program supports friendship and education for 18-40 with a bowel or bladder diversion such as an ostomy or j-pouch. Our goal is to help people live life to the fullest, and we endeavour to meet this through support, friendship, and education. This role is crucial to our programming as we venture to expand our outreach to young adults, particularly those under the age of 30. We need a self-motivated individual who is also willing to work with a small executive committee.
• Training as a certified Ostomy Visitor to visit young adults undergoing ostomy or j-pouch surgery
• Event planning with support, friendship, and education in mind
• Developing a consistent schedule for events, which are usually bi-monthly
• Maintain contact with the national young adult’s leader and committee
• Group facilitation both in-person and virtually
• Designing social media ads and posters via Canva, as well as posting and distributing materials and sending email campaigns
• Monitoring YA social media group
• Write blog posts and updates for the COS website.
• Be part of the COS executive committee, and attend meetings and events.
• Encourage program members to attend COS events and young adults at COS events to join the program.
• Coordinate with local ostomy youth campers to participate in suitable events
Requirements & Skills:
• Friendly, supportive, empathetic, and with good listening skills.
• Good self-management and communication skills
• Be non-judgemental and understanding of group dynamics.
• Preference will be given to persons under age 30, especially graduates of the Ostomy Youth Camp or professional background in a related field
1-2 hours per week, according to demand. This position is very flexible.
Ostomy Visitor Coordinator
Do you love people and want to make an impact in the lives of those living with an Ostomy or J-Pouch? Calgary Ostomy Society is seeking an Ostomy Visitor Coordinator to join our team!
This volunteer position is shared with another coordinator. Preference will be given to those currently trained as certified visitors.
• Coordinating visits with COS certified visitors and ostomy and j-pouch patients .
• Responding to NSWOC nurse calls from local hospitals or people who reach out to us via our website.
• Match those patients who are either approaching or recovering from surgery with an appropriate visitor via phone or in-person or online visit.
• Minimal record keeping is required to track the people we assist.
• A willingness to recruit new volunteer visitors and training them in our procedures is required.
Requirements & Skills:
• Friendly, supportive, empathetic, with good listening skills.
• Phone and internet access.
• Basic computer skills.
• Strong organizational and time-management skills.
• Ability to self-manage your duties.
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours a week, varying month to month based on demand.