Join Our Team
The Calgary Ostomy Society requires some volunteers to join our team. Kaylee requires more Certified Ostomy Visitors to join the roster. Tiffany needs help with the young adults’ group and membership. She has stepped up to help Ostomy Canada with some critical projects and needs to lighten up her local workload. We can also stand to improve upon these areas, so we created new positions that will focus on program expansion and enhancement.
Our volunteers work remotely from home, except for in-person events. It is very flexible and typically revolves around quarterly planning. We have some new perks to offer volunteers who can commit to a 2-year term: free access to Microsoft Office 365, Grammarly and Canva, discounted hardware and software, and online training. If you are not quite up to speed with technology, this is an excellent opportunity to improve your skills and add to your resume.
We ask that you consider giving a few hours of your free time each month to this worthy cause. Volunteering is not merely a selfless act, but it also presents a way to build up your world if you are feeling depressed or isolated and gives the gift of purpose and accomplishment. Our executive committee is fun and friendly, and the experience of fellowship with other ostomates and j-pouchers is very healing in your recovery journey.
If you are interested in any of the postitions listed here, please contact us for more information!
Ostomy Visitor Program
If you are a member of Calgary Ostomy Society and wish to become a visitor then you should contact our Visitor Coordinator, who will discuss the visiting program with you and what the selection of visitor candidates involves. The decision to become a visitor and helping others who share the same bond is very rewarding.
We are in need of male volunteers between the ages of 19 and 50, who have either an ileostomy or colostomy.
Twice per year, we organize an event on behalf of the Friends of Ostomates Worldwide Canada. This involves a day of hard work, (lifting, standing, etc.), at the CB Medical Warehouse. We unpack boxes of ostomy supply donations, sort them out according to type (colostomy, urostomy, 1-piece & 2-piece systems, etc.), and repack for shipment to FOWC headquarters in Toronto. We typically email members, and post the event on our website and Facebook the month before a Packup.
Update: We are currently unable to coordinate FOWC pack ups due to Covid-19.
Executive Committee Positions
Young Adults Coordinator
Are you a young adult living with an Ostomy or J-Pouch? Calgary Ostomy Society (COS) is currently looking for a volunteer to fill the role of Young Adults Program Coordinator.
Our Young Adults program supports friendship and education for persons aged 18-40 with a bowel or bladder diversion such as an ostomy or j-pouch. Our goal is to help people live life to the fullest, and we endeavour to meet this through support, friendship, and education. This role is crucial to our programming as we venture to expand our outreach to young adults, particularly those under the age of 30. We need a self-motivated individual who is also willing to work with a small executive committee.
• Become a Certified Ostomy Visitor to visit young adults undergoing ostomy or j-pouch surgery.
• Event planning with support, friendship, and education in mind.
• Developing a consistent schedule for events, which are usually bi-monthly.
• Maintain contact with the national young adult’s leader and committee.
• Group facilitation both in-person and virtually.
• Designing social media ads and posters via Canva, as well as posting and distributing materials and sending email campaigns.
• Monitoring YA social media group.
• Write blog posts and updates for the COS website.
• Be part of the COS executive committee, and attend meetings and events.
• Encourage program members to attend COS events and young adults at COS events to join the program.
• Coordinate with local ostomy youth campers to participate in suitable events.
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS
• Friendly, supportive, empathetic, and with good listening skills.
• Good self-management and communication skills.
• Be non-judgemental and understanding of group dynamics.
• Preference will be given to persons under age 30, especially graduates of the Ostomy Youth Camp or professional background in a related field.
1-2 hours per week, according to demand. This position is very flexible.
The Calgary Ostomy Society (COS) is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated Membership Coordinator who will help us expand and develop our membership program. This position will play a key role in building and conveying the value of COS to our members, maintaining membership records, recruiting new members, and developing related marketing campaigns.
• Develop, enhance and manage the membership program, with support from COS Team.
• Serve as the primary contact person for all member inquiries.
• Develop and execute successful strategies to recruit and orient new members and ensure member renewals.
• Manage membership application process, including WordPress website membership plugin (Memberpress).
• Evaluate, enhance and maintain member data system to ensure accuracy and completeness of member information.
• Work closely with other COS teammates to continually inform members of services and benefits of membership; assist with the execution of email and other marketing efforts.
• Assist with member communication activities that drive attendance at COS events; assist in event recruitment.
• Assist in preparing organizational marketing materials to reflect the depth, reach and impact of COS.
• Represent COS at events and functions; evaluate member feedback to assist with program improvement.
• Assist with other duties and projects as needed.
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS
• Experience with databases and related software.
• Ability to think strategically, anticipating future developments and planning accordingly; identify issues and generate recommendations.
• Organizational skills and attention to detail; writing and editing skills; practical verbal communication skills.
• Comfort working independently and part of a small team; collaborate with COS team, members, and other stakeholders on relevant projects.
• Self-motivated with the ability to self-manage the membership program.
• Related education or experience is an asset.
• Ability to manage and maintain data with accuracy and thoroughness.
• Familiarity with business applications for social media.
• Excellent computer knowledge; proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) required. Experience with WordPress and Canva is a plus.
1-2 hours a week, varying month to month based on demand.
Long-Term Volunteer Opportunities
Calgary Ostomy is looking for volunteers within the ostomy community to form a planning committee for the Step Up For Ostomy Charity & Awareness Walk that will be taking place…Find Out More