- This event has passed.
Step Up For Ostomy 2023
September 16 @ 10:00 am – 1:30 pm MDT
Join the Calgary Ostomy Society as we Step Up For Ostomy!
Join us at the Inglewood Community Hall on Saturday, September 16, 2023, and show your support for those living with an ostomy at the Step Up For Ostomy awareness and fundraising event. There will be an awareness walk, BBQ lunch, and Ostomy Expo and a great opportunity to meet others with an ileostomy, urostomy, colostomy, j-pouch, or related surgery.
Step Up For Ostomy Event Itinerary
The Step Up For Ostomy event will be held at the Inglewood Community Hall on Saturday, September 16, 2023. Spend the day with others living with an ostomy or j-pouch by participating in this event hosted by Calgary Ostomy. It includes an awareness walk through the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary with a BBQ and Ostomy Expo. Please note that we are holding our event a week earlier than the national date due to venue availability.
10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Registration & Ostomy Expo:
- Registration. Please arrive at the Inglewood Community Hall and head inside to the Main Hall. All attendees are required to sign a waiver. The online registration ticket includes a waiver, but you may sign one on-site. If you cannot register online, please call 403-922-5995 or email email@example.com to RSVP.
- Ostomy Expo (see below) – exhibitors are invited to stay for the entire event, however, some cannot commit to the entire event, so the best time to visit is from 10 am to 11 am. Exhibitors and event sponsors include:
- CB Medical – Event Sponsor (thanks to Craig Bean for sponsoring the hall rental!)
- Staywell Home Care – Event Sponsor (BBQ)
- Coloplast – National Sponsor
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Awareness Walk or Seated Yoga:
- Awareness and Nature Walk. The walk begins with a group photoshoot at the community hall. We will then walk to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and back. The walking trail is accessible for those with mobility devices to a certain point. However, the walk from the community hall to the bird sanctuary is 1.1 km, so you may drive there if preferred. Please dress appropriately for the weather and wear suitable footwear!
- Seated Yoga Session. Those not up to participating in the walk due to limited mobility, GI or health issues, etc. are welcome to remain at the hall for this alternative activity. Please wear comfy clothing. Special thanks to Jaadaas Jagwaa for hosting!
12:00 – 2:00 p.m. – BBQ Lunch & Door Prizes:
- We will be serving hot dogs, chips, and beverages. There will be a seating area indoors at the Main Hall of the Inglewood Community Hall.
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Ostomy Photoshoot:
Models Wanted! Stick around for an ostomy photoshoot with Sean Currie. Become a face on the Ostomy Canada website banner, Magazine, or Newsletter! Everyone is invited to participate. Please see the Calgary Ostomy or Ostomy Canada website banner for an example of ostomy-positive photos. (Clothing, makeup, and hair are up to the participant).
We have invited ostomy vendors to attend and showcase their wares and provide samples at the Step Up For Ostomy Event, also indoors at the Main Hall. You can speak to local ostomy manufacturers and vendors and learn about their product lines. Calgary Ostomy Society volunteers will also be present to answer any questions you have about our organization. Please stay tuned for more updates!
To become an exhibitor at the Ostomy Expo, we require that your company:
- Is or plans to become a National Sponsor of the Step Up For Ostomy 2023 campaign (through Ostomy Canada Society), or,
- Steps up as a local sponsor, the cost being $100, or,
- Donates a door prize.
We would also love it if your company could provide some ostomy-related samples or freebies for participants. For more information about becoming an Ostomy Expo exhibitor, please contact
Fundraising & Donations
This unique cross-Canada event will raise much-needed funds to help us improve the quality of life for people with ostomy in every province and territory. Over the past year, Ostomy Canada has launched a new National website, newsletter, and webinars and increased endeavors in programming, government advocacy, marketing, outreach, awards, partnerships, and finance. Step Up For Ostomy also supports our local chapter, as we will receive 10% of the funds from all donations made in the vicinity (based on postal code). This is Calgary Ostomy’s major fundraiser, so every little bit helps!
- Please join the Just Giving Calgary Ostomy team page to collect online pledges or donate. You can also track your offline donations here. This is also a great way to share your story. Enter the Summer Kickoff Contest to win a $100 Amazon gift card!
- You are welcome to start a team if you have other people who would like to participate in fundraising with you, ie, family or company.
- If you wish to collect offline donations via cash, cheque, or credit card, please use Pledge Form. We will require donor information to issue tax receipts (donations $25+).
- To make a personal offline donation via cash, cheque, or credit card at the Step Up For Ostomy event, it may be more convenient to make an online pledge, as we will be mailing the Event Participation Forms to Ostomy Canada for processing. Click here to donate online!
- All pledge forms, including cash and cheques, should be turned in at the Step Up For Ostomy event.
Step Up For Ostomy Sponsorship Opportunities
Do you own a business in Calgary & Area? We are looking for local sponsors (the cost is $100) to support the Step Up For Ostomy event. This will be used for expenses related to event hosting, such as the venue and food, with proceeds going directly to the Calgary Ostomy Society. You will be required to complete the Local Sponsorship Pledge Form. Your company name will be recognized on the Step Up For Ostomy website and in our local newsletter. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.
Event Day – We are in need of volunteers to assist with food and set up & take down, as well as awareness walk leader(s). Sign up here.
Poster Distribution – Help us raise awareness of this event! If you can hang posters around your neighborhood, please get in touch with Tiffany to get on the distribution list. Please include your address and how many posters you wish to receive.
Step Up For Ostomy T-Shirts
- We will not provide t-shirts this year, so please use your Step Up t-shirts from 2021 or 2022. We have a few t-shirts available from last year, first come, first serve.
Use your voice! Please share Step Up For Ostomy with your friends, family, and co-workers and let them know of this important cause. Help us eliminate the stigma!
For more resources and tips about fundraising, please visit the Step Up For Ostomy website.